Tuesday, November 21, 2017

The 2017 Newsletter: It's a Long One


I’ve taken up yoga.

Sorry, I’ve learned that the correct phrasing is to say that I’ve begun practicing yoga. I started practicing because of a lengthy bout with hip/back/butt pain that basically had me limping for most of the spring. One of the great things about living in the Northampton area, aka “Happy Valley,” is that there are many options when it comes to advancing one’s personal health goals. No need to be a slave to Big Medicine! We’ve got acupuncture, acupressure, reiki, yoga, chiropractic, therapeutic massage…you get the picture. This great thing is also one of the worst things, because if you happen to mention to someone—anyone—that you’re experiencing an ache or pain, they’re going to tell you about their guy or woman who’s the “absolute best” at whatever voodoo they’re into. When you have too many choices, sometimes you have no choices.

Anyway, I ended up going with yoga and chiropractic, mainly because they were next to each other in one of the many cool old mill buildings we have around here and they were relatively inexpensive. The chiropractor, Roger, was nice enough, and he complimented me for having two legs that are the same length, but whenever I’d go in for an adjustment, he’d poke and prod and point out the areas where I was tight. Which was pretty much everywhere.

At yoga, Kellie, the instructor, doesn’t focus on my limitations. She flatly refuses to recognize them. She’ll tell me to move my legs here and my arms there and I’ll chuckle and say, “you’ve got to be kidding,” but she never is. And then she’ll walk over and twist me into the proper position if necessary.

Roger’s adjustments didn’t help my back. Kellie’s yoga did. So I’ve kept on going. However, it’s important to note that the pre-Thanksgiving yoga class was canceled, so I’m going into the game at a bit of a disadvantage.

If yoga stops working, I may have to turn to the TB12 Method. It’s probably a totally physiologically sound plan and besides, Tom could use the money.

But here’s a thing about yoga: you can’t win at yoga. Kellie chastised me for trying to be better than the other beginners in the Beginners Class I started with. (I’ve since graduated to a more advanced class, thank you very much.) This could be a mind trick, like the one hand clapping riddle, and the fact that she told me I can’t win yoga has me alternating between saying, “What’s the point, then,” and, “Oh, yeah? I’ll show you!” Or it could be true.

What does this have to do with the Turkey Bowl, you’ve probably asked more than once by now? Well, I’ve been thinking about this a lot, especially during Shavasana (look it up), and I think the same philosophy can be applied to the Turkey Bowl. You can’t win the Turkey Bowl. None of us can.

This part is directed specifically at the kids who pulled off the improbable last year and beat the adults: you shouldn’t put so much emphasis on winning. It’s not about winning. It’s about the camaraderie and being thankful. So it would be okay if you took it easy on us old folks on Thursday. You have to start looking at the bigger picture.

The bigger picture for me is that I ran into Bill Small at Dave Faherty’s lovely and amazing memorial service and he told me that he’s almost back to walking without a limp after the unfortunate Achilles incident last year. The bigger picture for me is that the thought of running around playing football for a couple of hours on Thanksgiving morning terrifies me. So I have an announcement to make:

I am retiring from the Turkey Bowl.

I’m 50 years old, and I’ve cheated Father Time long enough: November 25, 2032, will be my last game.

That means I’ve only got 15 Turkey Bowls left.

Oh, and this is the 35th Turkey Bowl. In honor of that, here are 35 (36, really) random ways the Turkey Bowl has made my life better (and they all go beyond this transitory notion of “winning”). The Turkey Bowl has:

1.       Given me another gluttonous meal on Thanksgiving

2.       Accelerated my curmudgeonly-ness by making me hate whippersnappers who can run and throw and catch all day

3.       Made me wonder, who takes the picture every year and is therefore not in it?

4.       Allowed me to teach my kids the South Mountain School song as we travel past my elementary school every Thanksgiving

5.       And embarrass them annually by singing it

6.       Allowed me to never host a Thanksgiving dinner, or cook a Thanksgiving meal

7.       Given me the pleasure of verifying once a year that I am, in fact, getting slower

8.       Convinced me that Doug MacDonald has the worst hands

9.       Made me appreciate the Orchard Park neighbors for tolerating our annual invasion

10.   Reminded me that, yes, the Wolf and Pig are still a good call

11.   Made me kick myself for listening to that crazy lady who demanded we stop trimming the trees. How many years ago was that?

12.   Made me appreciate the longest-running tradition in my life

13.   Let me go over the new Tappan Zee Bridge

14.   Made me ppreciate Texas Weiner Taylor Ham Egg and Cheese sandwiches.

15.   Made me appreciate the entire MacDonald clan.

16.   Taught me that anything can happen (Owen contributed this one)

17.   Taught me that Bill Small should never play in the Turkey Bowl

18.   Shown me that Michael Nulty talks a good game. Emphasis on the talk.

19.   Proven John Nulty has the softest hands.

20.   Proven that Turkey Bowl huddles are wildly inefficient

21.   Frustrated me because we should have filmed every one of these games

22.   Taught me to appreciate Lars’ understated steadiness

23.   Made me appreciate that Doug is a master motivator

24.   Who’s not afraid to do the dirty work on the line

25.   Proven that Thanksgiving is the best day of the year

26.   And that Maplewood and the surrounding area was a pretty great place to grow up

27.   Shown that Jameson’s pairs well with Taylor Ham

28.   Reminded me that Lulu Kesin might be the most underrated veteran player out there.

29.   That having Ian MacDonald on your team is the best.

30.   That Mississippis are better than alligators

31.   That the center should never be eligible.

32.   That Lars has a very athletic family. Something about skipping a generation, I guess.

33.   That playing against my children makes for great dinner conversation later.

34.   That a set of orange cones was probably the best investment I’ve ever made.

35.   That Sam Shelffo is a stealthy pass rusher.

36.   That YouTube is NOT a suitable substitute for a doctor when it comes to treating shoulder injuries.



Let me conclude with a brief story. Many people in my family love black olives, and they have long been a staple of the Shelffo Thanksgiving table; the table would not be fully set without a serving dish of black olives. One year, after a Thanksgiving Eve party at the Zoo Pub, I went home feeling a bit peckish. To satisfy my hunger, I ate two entire cans of black olives, which meant we had none for dinner. My mom was unhappy, to say the least. And I had to fight through the crowds at the A&P on Thanksgiving, post-Turkey Bowl, wicked sore and tired, to get replacement olives or be drummed out of the family.

My mom passed away in August. She’s been on my mind as I worked on this newsletter. She lived in Maplewood for 20 years, after living in South Orange for 20 years, and the fact that she still lived in Maplewood made me feel like less of an interloper during our annual invasion of Orchard Park. Every year when I’d see her after the Turkey Bowl, she’d say the same thing to me: “Well, I didn’t hear any sirens, so I guess the game must have gone okay.”

May the game go okay on Thursday.

10:30, Orchard Park. See ya there!


No comments:

Post a Comment